In 1946, Mary Sill Baker organized the first playgroup for faculty children at the Stevens Institute of Technology. Classes were held in the Castle Stevens solarium on Castle Point. Today, and many generations later, Stevens has grown to more than 430 students, ages 3 through 14, and expanded its reach to campuses located in Hoboken and Jersey City, New Jersey.
"The Stevens Cooperative Play School" is incorporated as a school for three- and four-year-olds and opens its doors to non-faculty children. An apartment at 800 Castle Point Terrace is taken over as the main site of the school, where the nursery school remained until 2007. Fathers helped remodel the space and built the first toys, blocks and jungle gym. Either parent was required to give five days per semester toward assisting teachers.
A name change to the Certificate of Incorporation is filed as “The Stevens Cooperative Nursery School.”
Stevens starts its first Kindergarten program at St. Matthews Presbyterian Church at 9th and Hudson Streets.
The school moves to St. John’s Lutheran Church at 3rd and Bloomfield Streets and adds a 1st grade and 2nd grade.
Frank Sinatra donates $1000 dollars to Stevens to help Kindergarten students with school tuition. A final name change to the Certificate of Incorporation is filed as "The Stevens Cooperative School."
Stevens adds a 3rd and 4th grade and moves to St. Paul’s Episcopal Church at 820 Hudson Street. Families from all over Hudson County join the School’s growing population.
Stevens purchases a building at 220 Willow Street to house its Kindergarten-4th grade students.
Joan Studer Levine is named as the school's first full-time Educational Director.
The school moves into the Rue Building at 3rd Street and Garden Street, where our Hoboken campus 1st-6th grades remain today.
Zoe Hauser is named the school's Educational Director.
Stevens expands to middle school, adding a 5th grade in 1997 and announcing the addition of 6th grade for the 1997-1998 school year.
The first 8th grade class graduates from Stevens.
The school moves its PreK and Kindergarten classes to 301 Bloomfield Street, purchasing the building with funds from its first capital campaign.
Stevens opens a second campus at Newport in Jersey City with Kindergarten-2nd grade, and the commitment to add one grade per year at the new location.
A morning and afternoon program is launched for PreK 3 at the Bloomfield Street facility. Stevens moves the remainder of the Early Childhood program in Hoboken into a new facility at 339 River Street.
The Harrell Room, a science and media center, is installed on the second floor of 301 Bloomfield Street.
The School expands its Newport campus and moves to a larger space at 100 River Drive, S, where our Newport campus Kindergarten - 8th grades remain today.
Sergio Alati, Ed.D., is named Head of School.
Stevens graduates its first 8th grade class from the Newport Campus along with the Hoboken 8th graders.
301 Garden Street facilities undergo a renovation, updating all of the Stevens classrooms.
River Street become the home of the Hoboken Early Childhood program after PreK 3 classes move from Bloomfield Street.
The Hoboken Early Childhood program expands into additional space for classrooms and administrative offices at River Street. The Hoboken 7th and 8th grades move to newly renovated space at Bloomfield Street.
Mary Sill Baker, 1937
Lott House at 8th Street and Castle Point Terrace, Hoboken, NJ
St. Matthews Presbyterian Church at 9th Street and Hudson Street, Hoboken, NJ
1979 Field Trip